Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Little Stranger

R Released Aug 31, 2018 1 hr. 51 min. Horror Mystery & Thriller TRAILER for The Little Stranger: Trailer 1 List
      65% 142 Reviews Tomatometer 34% 500+ Ratings Audience Score During the long, hot summer of 1948, Dr. Faraday travels to Hundreds Hall, home to the Ayres family for more than two centuries. The Hall is now in decline, and its inhabitants -- mother, son and daughter -- remain haunted by something more ominous than a dying way of life. When Faraday takes on a new patient there, he has no idea how closely the family's story is about to become entwined with his own. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Mar 21 Buy Now

Where to Watch

The Little Stranger

Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent The Little Stranger on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

The Little Stranger

What to Know

Critics Consensus

The Little Stranger's reliance on atmosphere may satisfy audiences in the mood for sophisticated horror fare -- while frustrating those seeking more visceral thrills.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (94) audience reviews
      SkyRo P #MovieReview #TheLittleStranger 🌟 🌟 This movie was very cut and dry and very boring. I was overly confused with the ending it made no sense to the story and was just awful. If you want to go to the movies and take a nap this is the movie to go watch. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 12/27/23 Full Review Ruth J I was looking forward to a good, intelligent, old fashioned ghost story - perhaps a little scary, definitely atmospheric, certainly haunting. But was unfortunately unsurprised to find yet another fumbled horror story that made no sense whatsoever. Was it the ghost of a long dead little girl who had shown no violent tendencies in life but was now a psycho in death? Was it a curse on the house? Was it the dog? Was it . . . oh, who cares! It started badly for me in the first scene. Dr. Faraday was played by Domhnall Gleeson in apparent homage to the serious, stiff, poker-faced member of the Sparks pop duo from the 70s. And he didn't get any better. He seemed not to want to bend as you normally do and had such restricted movement, I wondered if this was because something essential would drop out if he wasn't careful. And his general effect was incredibly, totally boring. I felt devastated at one point when I found I was only a third of the way through the film. There was no character in his character. He was life extinct. In fact, there was no colour or substance to any of the characters. None of them connected. They were individual and, largely, worthy actors needing to support their lives through a job. Any job. By the end, I felt I had been watching a long and boring plea for donations by a charity for actors. The 1.5 stars is made up of the house and a nod to the charity. Rated 1.5 out of 5 stars 07/16/23 Full Review Gareth v Being a fan of the three leads (Wilson, Gleeson & Rampling), I watched this with some high hopes but came away disappointed. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 06/23/23 Full Review Gianmarco R Unoriginal horror film with a meaningless plot and too dark a photograph. The film offers some beautiful and entertaining moments, but that pale in comparison to moments without too much sense and without attractiveness. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 01/24/22 Full Review woodle b To put this under the "Horror" genre is just false advertising. Rated 1.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Robert M Keeps you guessing to the end. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 02/14/21 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

The Little Stranger

The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Phantom Wounds The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Phantom Wounds 1:26 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Pressured Into Marriage The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Pressured Into Marriage 1:59 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Calling off the Marriage The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Calling off the Marriage 2:04 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - A Grisly Death The Little Stranger: Official Clip - A Grisly Death 1:28 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - The Haunted Nursery The Little Stranger: Official Clip - The Haunted Nursery 2:17 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - A Proper Little Gentleman The Little Stranger: Official Clip - A Proper Little Gentleman 3:08 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Falling to Her Death The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Falling to Her Death 2:45 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Fire in The Library The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Fire in The Library 2:04 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Not of Sound Mind The Little Stranger: Official Clip - Not of Sound Mind 2:13 The Little Stranger: Official Clip - The Dog Bite The Little Stranger: Official Clip - The Dog Bite 2:07 View more videos

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (142) Critics Reviews
      Ben Sachs Chicago Reader The players are technically impressive but fail to make any significant emotional impact. Mar 4, 2020 Full Review Meagan Navarro Bloody Disgusting There are moments of stark, unexpected violence, and chilling moments that hint at the ghosts within, but mostly The Little Stranger is a horror mystery that revels in its ambiguity. But the near two hour run time feels overlong. Rated: 3/5 Jul 3, 2019 Full Review Linda Marric HeyUGuys Casting issues aside, Abrahamson delivers an engrossing dark tale of the struggle to find solid ground when all around crumbles in a gothic maelstrom. Rated: 3/5 Jun 5, 2019 Full Review Dolores Quintana Dolores Quintana THE LITTLE STRANGER is an atmospheric, haunting, realistic ghost story that has surprising relevance to the issues of modern day life despite being a period film. Dec 28, 2022 Full Review Brian Eggert Deep Focus Review Abrahamson captures the viewer in a chilling and perplexing narrative that nonetheless feels satisfying in its many ambiguities. Rated: 3.5/4 Mar 11, 2022 Full Review Yasser Medina Cinefilia It is a gothic tale of horror and mystery that harbors a somewhat atmospheric visual style, but not even that elegance prevents it from presenting a fatiguing plot about class, ghosts and family secrets. [Full review in Spanish] Rated: 5/10 Mar 21, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis During the long, hot summer of 1948, Dr. Faraday travels to Hundreds Hall, home to the Ayres family for more than two centuries. The Hall is now in decline, and its inhabitants -- mother, son and daughter -- remain haunted by something more ominous than a dying way of life. When Faraday takes on a new patient there, he has no idea how closely the family's story is about to become entwined with his own.
      Director
      Lenny Abrahamson
      Executive Producer
      Cameron McCracken, Daniel Battsek, Andrew Lowe, Tim O'Shea
      Screenwriter
      Lucinda Coxon
      Distributor
      Focus Features
      Production Co
      Potboiler Productions, Irish Film Board, Element Pictures
      Rating
      R (Some Disturbing Bloody Images)