Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Forest of Love

2019 2 hr. 31 min. Drama Horror Mystery & Thriller List
      100% 11 Reviews Tomatometer 59% 50+ Ratings Audience Score A man uses his charisma to manipulate the people around him. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

The Forest of Love

Netflix

Watch The Forest of Love with a subscription on Netflix.

Audience Reviews

View All (20) audience reviews
      William D Kippei Shima does a great job in the con man role, but I can't bring myself to recommend this one. The violence and depravity feel more gratuitous than profound. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 04/09/23 Full Review Gian P This movie was a complete and total mindfuck with a twist. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 03/06/23 Full Review Joe C Dark doesn't begin to describe it, creepy not in a horror movie way but in a "How could regular people do this?" way. There are scenes of shocking violence conducted without passion, making them even scarier. The main manipulative character is rather a Japanese Rasputin or Mesmer, twisting the innocent by sheer force of will. An ugly spectacle, I had enjoyed Sion Sono's more recent "Prisoners of the Ghostland" and wanted to dig deeper. I think I'm done. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 02/17/22 Full Review Audience Member ) The worst movie I've seen in years! Brutal violence, mainly against women mixed with popular sexual fantasies (girls in uniforms or in underwear). This is so sickening. It's no even sadomasochism, it's more like a mix of brutality with reward that everybody enjoys and try to drag you to do it too. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 02/22/23 Full Review Audience Member Good Lord that's 2 hours of my life I'll not get back. Supposedly based on a true series of events which makes it even more insufferable. Why was this made? Rated 1 out of 5 stars 01/28/23 Full Review Audience Member The most disturbing movie I've ever seen. It's too long, unengaging, is has loads of unnecessary violence and it oversexualizes women in such an awful way... The only good element I could find here was the cinematography. The whole movie was so painful to watch... Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 02/14/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

100% 80% The Burial of Kojo 92% 58% They Look Like People 40% % Brunam 36% 32% In the Tall Grass TRAILER for In the Tall Grass 80% % Indiana Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (11) Critics Reviews
      David Ehrlich indieWire An exuberant psychosexual blood-feast made by the kind of movie-obsessed madman whose irrepressible life force can only be expressed through a camera lens. Rated: B- Oct 14, 2019 Full Review Brian Tallerico RogerEbert.com There's something mesmerizing about the excess. Rated: 3/4 Oct 11, 2019 Full Review Pieter-Jan Van Haecke Psychocinematography It might not be an easy watch, but it is a compelling and emotional powerful exploration of the darkness of the human being and his sexuality. Aug 23, 2020 Full Review Yasser Medina Cinefilia It's a brutal thriller, full of gore and twisted characters, in which Sono establishes a kind of review of all his authorship and, at the same time, inspects the most sinister corners of human nature. [Full review in Spanish] Rated: 7/10 Jun 29, 2020 Full Review James Marsh South China Morning Post The Forest of Love offers a dizzying kaleidoscope of outrageous imagery and tangled flashbacks that will reward attentive viewers but may just as easily prove insufferable to the uninitiated or ill-prepared. Rated: 3/5 Apr 30, 2020 Full Review Dennis Schwartz Dennis Schwartz Movie Reviews It's an ultra-violent thriller about uniformed teenage school girls, a suicide pact, wannabe filmmakers, artistic creation turning evil, a conman and, of course, a serial killer. Rated: B- Dec 7, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis A man uses his charisma to manipulate the people around him.
      Director
      Sion Sono
      Executive Producer
      Taro Goto, Kaata Sakamoto
      Screenwriter
      Sion Sono
      Production Co
      Netflix
      Genre
      Drama, Horror, Mystery & Thriller
      Original Language
      Japanese