Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Revenge

R Released May 11, 2018 1 hr. 48 min. Mystery & Thriller TRAILER for Revenge: Trailer 2 List
      93% 134 Reviews Tomatometer 59% 2,500+ Ratings Audience Score Jen is enjoying a romantic getaway with her wealthy boyfriend -- until his two sleazy friends arrive for an unannounced hunting trip. As tension mounts in the house, the situation abruptly and viciously intensifies, culminating in a shocking act that leaves Jen left for dead. Unfortunately for her assailants, she survives and soon begins a relentless quest for bloody revenge. Read More Read Less
      Revenge

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Revenge slices and dices genre tropes, working within an exploitation framework while adding a timely -- yet never less than viscerally thrilling -- feminist spin.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (354) audience reviews
      Thirdi A Pretty good Jane Wick movie, a little too long but fun to turn your brain off and enjoy Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/15/24 Full Review Kyle C Not for me. A bit of a sloppy, unfocused mess. It tries to tread this line between gritty, realistic thriller and totally over-the-top B-movie, but lands on a shittier third axis altogether. I like the concept and I think the vaguely mystical "rising from the ashes" protagonist vibe could have totally worked if they'd leaned into it more. Instead, I found myself mostly checked out and not even really enjoying the ride. So much of the film just makes no sense or feels overlooked that I couldn't get my head into the story at all. Am I expected to believe that lighting a branch on fire, which is currently stabbing clean through a person's abdomen, will safely cauterize the wound? And why, and I can't stress this enough, the FUCK is the beer can tattoo not mirrored on her body?? Not a single person in production made that connection??? As much as the nice cinematography and soundtrack try to carry this film, it just feels like someone's lazy side project. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 03/10/24 Full Review Dirk H the film is unrealistic in many ways Rated 1 out of 5 stars 02/09/24 Full Review Craig B Ridiculously enjoyable thriller. You really have to switch off your brain for this one and just enjoy the bonkers and gory ride. All the more enjoyable for the committed performance of the stunning Matilda Lutz. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 08/22/23 Full Review Rafael R Great movie to pass the time. Great action, vibe and resolution to match up a good movie Rated 3 out of 5 stars 08/13/23 Full Review Valok P Feminist themes are often misused in filmmaking, taking these films down destructive paths, but Revenge takes this lens and gives us a convincing rise to power, and satisfying and extreme revenge story, with all the bloody violence you could imagine. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 07/27/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Critics Reviews

View All (134) Critics Reviews
      Scott Tobias Variety With her stylish and bloody rape-revenge thriller, French first-timer Coralie Fargeat turns a disputable subgenre upside down. Dec 26, 2018 Full Review Robert Daniels 812filmreviews Rape. Blood. Desert. Blood. Death. Blood. Drugs. Did I mention blood?Revenge, directed by Coralie Fargeat, is the French rape-revenge film you've been waiting for. Rated: 3/4 Aug 27, 2018 Full Review Sara Michelle Fetters MovieFreak.com A stunning reinvention of the rape-revenge exploitation film that had me sitting at the edge of my seat first frame to last. Rated: 3.5/4 May 31, 2018 Full Review Brian Eggert Deep Focus Review Revenge is a promising first film and, with any luck, perhaps Fargeat will approach her next film with more of an eye on instilling some dimensionality into her characters to achieve a stronger sense of catharsis. Rated: 2/4 Mar 14, 2022 Full Review Milana Vujkov Lola On Film Once you transcend the gore, the sheer originality of its dynamics, the ingenious transgression of its point of view (...) makes it a thrill ride of mythic proportions. Rated: 4/5 Jul 29, 2021 Full Review Emma Wolfe SpookyAstronauts The stylization is sensory overload with micro shots of movements and radical colorings. Rated: 7/10 Apr 14, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Jen is enjoying a romantic getaway with her wealthy boyfriend -- until his two sleazy friends arrive for an unannounced hunting trip. As tension mounts in the house, the situation abruptly and viciously intensifies, culminating in a shocking act that leaves Jen left for dead. Unfortunately for her assailants, she survives and soon begins a relentless quest for bloody revenge.
      Director
      Coralie Fargeat
      Executive Producer
      Frantz Richard, Hicham El Ghorfi
      Screenwriter
      Coralie Fargeat
      Distributor
      Neon
      Production Co
      Umedia, M.E.S Productions, Nexus Factory, Monkey Pack Films
      Rating
      R (Drug Use|A Rape|Strong Bloody Violence|Graphic Nudity|Language|Sexuality)
      Genre
      Mystery & Thriller
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      May 11, 2018, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      May 13, 2018
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $99.9K
      Aspect Ratio
      Scope (2.35:1)