Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Double Jeopardy

R Released Sep 24, 1999 1 hr. 45 min. Mystery & Thriller List
      28% 87 Reviews Tomatometer 61% 100,000+ Ratings Audience Score Framed for the murder of her husband, Libby Parsons (Ashley Judd) survives the long years in prison with two burning desires sustaining her -- finding her son and solving the mystery that destroyed her once-happy life. Standing between her and her quest, however, is her parole officer, Travis Lehman (Tommy Lee Jones). Libby poses a challenge to the cynical officer, one that forces him to face up to his own failings while pitting him against his superiors and law enforcement colleagues. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered May 15 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Double Jeopardy

Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent Double Jeopardy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

Double Jeopardy

What to Know

Critics Consensus

A talented cast fails to save this unremarkable thriller.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (1000+) audience reviews
      Cody W In this wild game of cat and mouse, DOUBLE JEOPARDY does all it can to keep the audience engaged in a stealthy and engaging environment, and it ultimately works very well for an action movie. In my opinion, I'd say that is a well deserved victory in my book. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/07/24 Full Review Bruno V Sensational film! Too bad it helps out of your time. There's even a hero's journey. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/31/24 Full Review Re D If you enjoyed The Fugitive, you'll enjoy this. Criticisms: Its handling of the law is questionable and some of the characters are lacking in depth. Action sequences are a little drawn out and unbelievable. That being said: So, yes the movie is "silly" in some respects and Tommy Lee Jones is the same character he was in The Fugitive, but 5 stars because there are many clever moments, Ashley Judd is gorgeous and easy to connect with and root for in this movie, there are unique and interesting settings, and the cinematography is done well. I can sit and watch the film any time it randomly pops up on TV and I'm entertained again. It's worth 5 stars for being a movie that I like more the longer it has been out. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/06/24 Full Review Audience Member Overall pretty good movie Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 12/29/23 Full Review David d More action then smartness in this movie, with decent but not great acting. Some definitely original twists, like the escape attempt from the ferry, nearly killing both leads. Second time I've seen it, first time when it came out. Ashley Judd performs well in her 'determined and angry' mode, slightly less convincing in the emotional and crying scenes. At times super smart, then again unthinking and reckless. I had expected a more balanced character role there. Bruce Greenwood comes off good, especially his transformations from charming guy to bitch in a second or two are very well done ! Wonder why I haven't seen him in any lead roles (or that may just be my miss). Tommy Lee Jones is predictable but solid. The scenery and music are great overall, the storyline and cinematography predictable but with some original finds in between. All in all a watcheable but not a great movie. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 12/07/23 Full Review Devin B Good story with great lead actors! Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 11/14/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

16% 43% Jade 33% 72% Whispers in the Dark 18% 30% Sliver TRAILER for Sliver 39% 39% Jennifer Eight 30% 47% Nick of Time TRAILER for Nick of Time Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (87) Critics Reviews
      Lisa Schwarzbaum Entertainment Weekly Rated: D+ Sep 7, 2011 Full Review Mick LaSalle San Francisco Chronicle Rated: 3/4 Jun 18, 2002 Full Review Globe and Mail Rated: 1/4 Mar 19, 2002 Full Review Joe Lipsett Anatomy of a Scream Podcast Network Who doesn't love a 90s female-fronted action thriller? Judd completely sells Libby's transformation in this wannabe The Fugitive sequel. While some of the politics of Lee Jones' character are icky, it's very satisfying seeing Greenwood get his comeuppance Rated: 3.5/5 Nov 2, 2022 Full Review David Nusair Reel Film Reviews ...a slightly overlong yet mostly engrossing thriller... Rated: 3/4 Jul 11, 2019 Full Review Karen Kemmerle Decider Siit back, relax, and marvel at the wonder that is Ashley Judd. Jun 7, 2018 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Framed for the murder of her husband, Libby Parsons (Ashley Judd) survives the long years in prison with two burning desires sustaining her -- finding her son and solving the mystery that destroyed her once-happy life. Standing between her and her quest, however, is her parole officer, Travis Lehman (Tommy Lee Jones). Libby poses a challenge to the cynical officer, one that forces him to face up to his own failings while pitting him against his superiors and law enforcement colleagues.
      Director
      Bruce Beresford
      Screenwriter
      David Weisberg, Douglas Cook
      Distributor
      Paramount Pictures
      Production Co
      Paramount Pictures
      Rating
      R (Some Sexuality|Language|Some Violence)
      Genre
      Mystery & Thriller
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Sep 24, 1999, Wide
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Jan 1, 2011
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $116.7M
      Sound Mix
      Dolby SR, DTS, Dolby Stereo, Surround, Dolby A, Dolby Digital