No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes
      TRAILER 2:49

Game Night

2018, Comedy/Action, 1h 40m

259 Reviews 10,000+ Ratings

What to know

Critics Consensus

With a talented cast turned loose on a loaded premise -- and a sharp script loaded with dark comedy and unexpected twists -- Game Night might be more fun than the real thing. Read critic reviews

You might also like

See More
      Shaft
      Keanu
      The Spy Who Dumped Me
      Assassination Nation
      CHIPS

Where to watch Game Night

Rent/buy Rent/buy

Rent Game Night on Apple TV, Vudu, or buy it on Apple TV, Vudu.

Rate And Review

User image

Verified

• User image

Super Reviewer

Rate this movie

Oof, that was Rotten.

Meh, it passed the time.

It’s good – I’d recommend it.

Awesome!

So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

What did you think of the movie? (optional)

• You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

• User image

Super Reviewer

Step 2 of 2

How did you buy your ticket?

Let's get your review verified.

• Fandango

• AMCTheatres.com or AMC AppNew

• Cinemark Coming Soon

We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.

• Regal Coming Soon

We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.

• Theater box office or somewhere else

You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

• User image

Super Reviewer

Rate this movie

Oof, that was Rotten.

Meh, it passed the time.

It’s good – I’d recommend it.

Awesome!

So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

What did you think of the movie? (optional)

• How did you buy your ticket?

• Fandango

• AMCTheatres.com or AMC AppNew

• Cinemark Coming Soon

• Regal Coming Soon

• Theater box office or somewhere else

Game Night  Photos

A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from "Game Night." A scene from " Warner Bros. Entertainment."

Movie Info

Max and Annie's weekly game night gets kicked up a notch when Max's brother Brooks arranges a murder mystery party -- complete with fake thugs and federal agents. So when Brooks gets kidnapped, it's all supposed to be part of the game. As the competitors set out to solve the case, they start to learn that neither the game nor Brooks are what they seem to be. The friends soon find themselves in over their heads as each twist leads to another unexpected turn over the course of one chaotic night.

• Rating: R (Sexual References|Language|Some Violence)

• Genre: Comedy, Action

• Original Language: English

• Director: John Francis Daley, Jonathan M. Goldstein

• Producer: John Davis, Jason Bateman, John Fox, James Garavente

• Writer: Mark Perez

• Release Date (Theaters):  wide

• Release Date (Streaming):

• Box Office (Gross USA): $69.0M

• Runtime:

• Distributor: Warner Bros. Pictures

• Production Co: New Line Cinema, Aggregate Films, Davis Entertainment

• Aspect Ratio: Scope (2.35:1)

Cast & Crew

News & Interviews for Game Night

Critic Reviews for Game Night

Audience Reviews for Game Night

• Mar 29, 2019

Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams have a wild and crazy time in the screwball comedy Game Night. When a kidnapping mystery game goes wrong a group of friends have to ban together to save their kidnapped friend from a crime boss. Both Bateman and McAdams give strong performances and have good chemistry together. And the comedy is pretty good, mixing satire and slapstick (with a little risque humor as well). Additionally, there are a couple of fun plot twists and exciting action scenes. Not all of it works, but overall all Game Night is entertaining and delivers a lot of laughs.

Super Reviewer
      • Mar 04, 2019

Game Night meshes together a twist-filled plot, outlandish gags and a clever fusion of visuals and its game-like atmosphere. The film is a surprise move that's got a surprising amount of heart and entertainment. 4.4/5

Super Reviewer
      • Dec 15, 2018

I can't decide what is most fun in this superbly refreshing comedy: if the awesome dialogue, the outstanding camerawork and direction, or the hilarious situations the characters get into, despite how the film tries maybe a bit too hard to be surprising without really needing to.

Super Reviewer
      • Nov 28, 2018

I will admit that November started out very roughly for me in terms of watching quality movies but, lately, I've been on a fairly decent run. Now, of course, the month ends in a little more than two days, so my average won't be great, as the good movies will still be outnumbered by the not-so-good movies, but I'm happy we had a bit of a turnaround for this month. Don't really know why that's important in any way, but there you go. Neither here nor there, regardless. This is another thing people that know me should know, if they truly know me, but I love Jason Bateman. This love can be traced back all the way back to 2004, when I first came across Arrested Development. Arrested Development, until Breaking Bad came along, was my favorite show of all time. It was tremendously funny, had one of the best comedic casts I've ever seen in any form of entertainment and the scripts were always top-notch. I absolutely loved Arrested Development. The fourth season was good, but it was hurt by the fact that there was very little interplay between the cast itself, which is what made the original show so great. I haven't finished the first half of season five, but it's already better than season four because there's far more interaction between the cast. It doesn't exactly capture the magic when the show was on the air, but it's still good. Regardless, Jason Bateman was an incredible straight man in that show, one of the best I've ever seen. Just his facial expressions and deadpan delivery were tremendous. And, ever since then, I've been a massive fan of the guy and I've always sought out (most) movies that he appears in. That these movies are all good is to be debated, but Bateman's talents always comes through. I have a friend who actually hates Bateman because of how much of an asshole his character was in Juno. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Someone hating Jason Bateman. Seriously though, I suppose we should move on to this movie. The fact of the matter is that I am an American, since I was born in Puerto Rico, but I do not live in the United States, so I do not know how 'popular' the game night deal is in the United States. I assume that, like Ryan, Kevin and Michelle mention later on in the film, it's mostly an excuse to spend time with people you're friends with. Though I'm certain that there are people like Annie and Max are in this movie, who are super competitive and into these game nights. I mean, I don't know, I suppose it would be fun if you're with people you like and you're doing fun stuff. Regardless, I think this movie was different than I expected. You may ask yourself how I thought this was gonna be different and to that I say, I really don't know. I got the basic concept that Max and Brooks' intense sibling rivalry would come to a head when Brooks, who's always been more successful than Max at the games they played when they were children, is more successful and handsome (according to some...not me), has game night over at his place. Game night, naturally, goes terribly awry as Brooks, supposedly, set up this intense murder mystery that Max and Annie and their friends have to solve in order to win Brooks' pretty sweet ass car. Things get a little too real when Brooks is kidnapped and Max, Annie and their friends all have to save him from being murdered. The thing about the movie is that, honestly, you're never really sure if this is an incredibly elaborate prank or if what's going is legitimate. The movie definitely keeps you guessing and there's some nice little twists and turns along the way to keep you on your toes. The thing about the movie is that I didn't find it to be a truly hilarious movie. It's certainly very funny indeed, but it's not hilarious. Even with that, however, I had a lot of fun watching this movie. It's not that the narrative offers some deep exploration of the sibling dynamic, in this case Max's relationship with his older brother, but I do think there's enough character development between the two to make it so there's a reason for why things are happening. Max, really, kind of hates his brother and he's not gonna leave him behind, in spite of how Brooks has behaved towards him throughout the years. The movie has a pretty damn strong cast. But, really, to me, the highlight of the movie is Jesse Plemons as Gary, Max and Annie's creepy next-door neighbor (who also happens to be a cop). That's not to suggest that the rest of the cast is lacking, far from it, it's just that Gary stole every scene he was in and he plays a larger part in the overall narrative than you would have thought. However, and I do have a problem with the narrative, is that they're weaving so many characters from different angles together and those other, ancillary angles don't necessarily work that well. There's this thing where our leads have to steal this Faberge egg or, rather, a list of people in the witness protection program that is inside the egg, which is a fake. There's this guy that bought the egg from Brooks (who really is a criminal) for twice the price that Brooks already sold it to this guy, the Bulgarian, for. Honestly, I don't really know what the list was for and how it was relevant and, really, I guess it doesn't actually matter in the long run. It was just a plot device, a MacGuffin if you will. But I just wish they made things clear as to why this list was so important. There's also this funny running gag between Kevin and Michelle, who have been a couple since middle school, as Michelle revealed that, when they were on a break, she had sex with a celebrity. Kevin, through various scenes, asks her who it is, names random celebrities he thinks it is (like Billy Bob Thornton and Tommy Lee Jones), until she eventually reveals it was Denzel Washington. Then we get a flashback of her and this guy that looks like Denzel that we (the audience) think is Denzel because, naturally, it's gonna take a LOT of money for him to appear in this movie. Kevin, naturally, doesn't believe her and she shows him a photograph of the two. He immediately calls her out on the fact that the guy in the photograph is not, in fact, Denzel Washington, just a guy that looks like him. It works because it's sort of a meta joke, we know it's actually not Denzel but we assume it is because this isn't real. Kevin wasn't really even pissed off after that. Did I mention that the cast itself is tremendous??? I don't know if I have, but it bears repeating if I did. Not only are they funny, likable and have great chemistry together, but, and I've always said this was an underrated factor in these types of movies, they were clearly having a blast while filming this. And, as I always like to say, that infectiousness, more often than not (unless the movie is really terrible) rubs off when you're watching. The credits are also cool in how they expose how the ruse itself was planned. Not saying by who, but the credits are cool nonetheless. It's not a perfect movie, no movie really is, but I definitely had a blast watching this movie. It's funny, the cast is on point and the writing is really strong. A few narrative flaws involving the witness protection list and the Bulgarian aside, this is still a blast of a movie and I would easily recommend it. I feel that this review might be incomplete, like maybe I didn't go over as many things as I should have, but it's the type of movie that's better enjoyed when you know as little as possible. It's not like The Sixth Sense, there's no medium-changing twist but, once again, it's a movie that is better enjoyed when you know as little of it as humanly possible. With that said, I greatly enjoyed this, I cannot complain much, if at all.

jesse o Super Reviewer

Movie & TV guides