Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Neruda

R Released Dec 16, 2016 1 hr. 47 min. History Drama TRAILER for Neruda: Trailer 1 List
      92% 157 Reviews Tomatometer 68% 5,000+ Ratings Audience Score A determined police inspector (Gael García Bernal) searches for Chilean politician Pablo Neruda (Luis Gnecco) after he goes into hiding in 1948. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Mar 07 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Neruda

Fandango at Home Prime Video

Rent Neruda on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Neruda

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Inventive, intelligent, and beautifully filmed, Neruda transcends the traditional biopic structure to look at the meaning beyond the details of its subject's life.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (54) audience reviews
      renaldo d The cinematography and the scenery are spectacular, in addition to the acting of the main actor. Despite this, the film is very fictional and the director's point of view about the neruda is blind with admiration. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member Interesting film, mostly because of the two protagonists. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 01/22/23 Full Review Audience Member I don't really know how to feel about this one. Just like when people saw Tenet this summer and didn't know what to do of it. I have to be honest and say I don't truly get this movie, in a sense is like a poem, you can feel and remain with what you want, open to interpretation, just like art. But at the same time I am not sure if this is like pretentious avant gard and it's hollow at it's core. Definitely a movie that will stuck with me, and that is a good thing, I guess. A movie that I would have to go back one day eventually. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 02/27/23 Full Review Audience Member A film overflowing with affectation that succeeded in turning Pablo Neruda into a Tracy Flick character. Rated 1 out of 5 stars 01/25/23 Full Review Audience Member Stylish, neo noir, meta, what more would you want? Rated 3 out of 5 stars 01/17/23 Full Review Audience Member One of the most perfected pictures from Chile, great photography, great actor and most of all good orchestration Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/20/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

93% 80% No 83% 70% Silence TRAILER for Silence 20% 78% For Greater Glory 84% 75% The Stanford Prison Experiment 85% 60% The Immigrant Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (157) Critics Reviews
      Namrata Joshi The Hindu Most of all, it is about the transforming power of art, how Neruda's own works fire the artistic sensibilities... Jul 24, 2018 Full Review David Stratton The Australian This smart, whimsical, extremely quirky and devilishly entertaining portrait of the poet is far from being a traditional biography but it joyfully celebrates the spirit of the man and his momentous times. Rated: 4/5 May 26, 2017 Full Review Sandra Hall Sydney Morning Herald There's a comic edge to [Gael Garcia Bernal's] performance that steals the movie. In his bumbling, hapless way, he's a more sympathetic character than Neruda himself. Rated: 3.5/5 May 24, 2017 Full Review Aaron Boalick Vague Visages Neruda’s shining star is Luis Gnecco, who brings the poet back to life. The energy that seduces the crowds gathered to hear his incarnation of the maestro recite verse extends to the film audience. Dec 1, 2023 Full Review Vadim Rizov Filmmaker Magazine Sunk by arbitrary visual retread and intolerable voiceover, Neruda is a failure of great ambition. Jan 17, 2023 Full Review David Bax Battleship Pretension Neruda has no answers for these questions but it asks them in a moving way that sometimes feels like a new achievement in the abilities of narrative. Jan 4, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis A determined police inspector (Gael García Bernal) searches for Chilean politician Pablo Neruda (Luis Gnecco) after he goes into hiding in 1948.
      Director
      Pablo Larraín
      Executive Producer
      Jeff Skoll, Jonathan King, Marc Simoncini, Mariane Hartard, Rocío Jadue
      Screenwriter
      Guillermo Calderón
      Distributor
      The Orchard
      Production Co
      Participant Media, Setembro Cine, Fabula, Funny Balloons, AZ Films, Reborn Production
      Rating
      R (Some Language|Sexuality/Nudity)
      Genre
      History, Drama
      Original Language
      Spanish
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Dec 16, 2016, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Mar 21, 2017
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $938.9K