No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes
      TRAILER 2:27

The Big Sick

2017, Romance/Comedy, 2h 0m

308 Reviews 25,000+ Ratings

What to know

Critics Consensus

Funny, heartfelt, and intelligent, The Big Sick uses its appealing leads and cross-cultural themes to prove the standard romcom formula still has some fresh angles left to explore. Read critic reviews

You might also like

See More
      Nobody's Fool
      My Dead Boyfriend
      Bridget Jones's Baby
      Lucky Break
      We'll Never Have Paris

Where to watch The Big Sick

Rent/buy Subscription

Watch The Big Sick with a subscription on Prime Video, rent on Vudu, or buy on Vudu.

Rate And Review

User image

Verified

• User image

Super Reviewer

Rate this movie

Oof, that was Rotten.

Meh, it passed the time.

It’s good – I’d recommend it.

Awesome!

So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

What did you think of the movie? (optional)

• You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

• User image

Super Reviewer

Step 2 of 2

How did you buy your ticket?

Let's get your review verified.

• Fandango

• AMCTheatres.com or AMC AppNew

• Cinemark Coming Soon

We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.

• Regal Coming Soon

We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.

• Theater box office or somewhere else

You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

• User image

Super Reviewer

Rate this movie

Oof, that was Rotten.

Meh, it passed the time.

It’s good – I’d recommend it.

Awesome!

So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

What did you think of the movie? (optional)

• How did you buy your ticket?

• Fandango

• AMCTheatres.com or AMC AppNew

• Cinemark Coming Soon

• Regal Coming Soon

• Theater box office or somewhere else

The Big Sick  Photos

Photo Credit: Sarah Shatz/Lionsgate The Big Sick (2017) The Big Sick (2017) The Big Sick (2017) The Big Sick (2017)

Movie Info

Kumail is a Pakistani comic, who meets an American graduate student named Emily at one of his stand-up shows. As their relationship blossoms, he soon becomes worried about what his traditional Muslim parents will think of her. When Emily suddenly comes down with an illness that leaves her in a coma, Kumail finds himself developing a bond with her deeply concerned mother and father.

• Rating: R (Some Sexual References|Language)

• Genre: Romance, Comedy

• Original Language: English

• Director: Michael Showalter

• Producer: Judd Apatow, Barry Mendel

• Writer: Emily V. Gordon, Kumail Nanjiani

• Release Date (Theaters):  wide

• Release Date (Streaming):

• Box Office (Gross USA): $42.9M

• Runtime:

• Distributor: Amazon Studios, Lionsgate Films

• Production Co: Apatow Films, FilmNation

• Sound Mix: Dolby Digital

• Aspect Ratio: Flat (1.85:1)

Cast & Crew

News & Interviews for The Big Sick

Critic Reviews for The Big Sick

Audience Reviews for The Big Sick

• May 16, 2018

What starts like a fresh take on the old "When Harry met Sally" premise soon gets a pretty dramatic and unexpected twist, and ultimately turns out to be based on true events. Every minute in between is funny, sad and very true. Likable, realistic characters and a great script make this a romantic comedy highlight of recent years, while tackling cultural differences and low key racism at the same time. Outstanding.

Super Reviewer
      • Jan 01, 2018

The best thing The Big Sick has going for it outside a surprisingly rich performance from Kumail Nanjiani is its director and comedy stalwart, Michael Showalter. While the films gives us a new take on the traditional rom-com specifically due to the cultural differences from its two leads, I still felt it never quite shook off the sluggishness of moving through a standard rom-com's paces. The Big Sick follows Nanjiani's real-life story of how he met his wife who suddenly became ill while they were dating. The strengths in the film lie with the relationships that come out of her illness. Kumail and Emily's parents form a reluctant bond moving from unstable to heartwarming over the course of Emily's stay. I've never been a standout fan of Ray Romano, but he's enjoyable as a goofy father doing the best he can in the dire situation. Holly Hunter puts forth a more ferocious performance as a mother incensed with protecting her child and struggling to make the best decisions to save her child. Overall, it was a good movie, but there just wasn't anything exciting about seeing it other than learning about Kumail's story, which is outside the normal. It was funny, even humorous in spots, but it was still too bland to break the mold of rom-com in an inventive way.

Super Reviewer
      • Dec 05, 2017

If there is something that no one can blame this film from being is predictable, since it always finds ways to surprise us with its maturity and sincerity, benefiting from solid performances and a very fine balance between heart and humor to tell us this real-life story.

Super Reviewer
      • Nov 28, 2017

FULL DISCLOSURE: I saw this while I was working my ass off in a foodtruck at an outdoor cinema. I missed whole chunks of it, and it certainly didn't have my full focus. I'll give it a proper chance at a later date, and alongside that, another review. What I did see of The Big Sick certainly held potential for me, I even had one genuine laugh, but American comedies rarely if ever resonate with me. I know this one plays it at a very different angle to your standard Sandler-esque faire, and I appreciate that, but I wasn't brought in enough from what I caught to get on board.

Super Reviewer

Movie & TV guides