No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes
      TRAILER 1:09

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

2017, Mystery & thriller/Horror, 2h 1m

281 Reviews 10,000+ Ratings

What to know

Critics Consensus

The Killing of a Sacred Deer continues director Yorgos Lanthimos' stubbornly idiosyncratic streak -- and demonstrates again that his is a talent not to be ignored. Read critic reviews

You might also like

See More
      The Little Stranger
      Pet Sematary
      It
      Voice From the Stone
      Annabelle: Creation

Where to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Rent/buy Rent/buy Subscription Rent/buy

Watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer with a subscription on Showtime, rent on Vudu, Apple TV, Prime Video, or buy on Vudu, Apple TV, Prime Video.

Rate And Review

User image

Verified

• User image

Super Reviewer

Rate this movie

Oof, that was Rotten.

Meh, it passed the time.

It’s good – I’d recommend it.

Awesome!

So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

What did you think of the movie? (optional)

• You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

• User image

Super Reviewer

Step 2 of 2

How did you buy your ticket?

Let's get your review verified.

• Fandango

• AMCTheatres.com or AMC AppNew

• Cinemark Coming Soon

We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.

• Regal Coming Soon

We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.

• Theater box office or somewhere else

You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

• User image

Super Reviewer

Rate this movie

Oof, that was Rotten.

Meh, it passed the time.

It’s good – I’d recommend it.

Awesome!

So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

What did you think of the movie? (optional)

• How did you buy your ticket?

• Fandango

• AMCTheatres.com or AMC AppNew

• Cinemark Coming Soon

• Regal Coming Soon

• Theater box office or somewhere else

The Killing of a Sacred Deer  Photos

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

Movie Info

Dr. Steven Murphy is a renowned cardiovascular surgeon who presides over a spotless household with his wife and two children. Lurking at the margins of his idyllic suburban existence is Martin, a fatherless teen who insinuates himself into the doctor's life in gradually unsettling ways. Soon, the full scope of Martin's intent becomes menacingly clear when he confronts Steven with a long-forgotten transgression that will shatter his domestic bliss forever.

• Rating: R (Disturbing Violent Content|Disturbing Sexual Content|Language|Some Graphic Nudity)

• Genre: Mystery & thriller, Horror

• Original Language: English

• Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

• Producer: Ed Guiney, Yorgos Lanthimos

• Writer: Yorgos Lanthimos, Efthimis Filippou

• Release Date (Theaters):  limited

• Release Date (Streaming):

• Box Office (Gross USA): $2.3M

• Runtime:

• Distributor: A24

• Production Co: Element Pictures

• Aspect Ratio: Flat (1.85:1)

Cast & Crew

Bill Camp
      Denise Dal Vera
      Colin Farrell
      Nicole Kidman
      Alicia Silverstone
      Sunny Suljic
      Barry G. Bernson
      Ed Guiney
      Andrew Lowe
      Daniel Battsek
      Sam Lavender
      David Kosse
      Nicki Hattingh
      Amit Pandya
      Anne Sheehan
      Peter Watson
      Gabrielle Stewart
      Thimios Bakatakis
      Jade Healy
      Nancy Steiner

News & Interviews for The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Critic Reviews for The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Audience Reviews for The Killing of a Sacred Deer

• Jul 08, 2018

This was a crazy kind of movie, it is a story with eerie undertones. Superb cast from young to old, and good direction. I only didn't care for the ending too much, besides that it was a good watch.

Super Reviewer
      • Feb 04, 2018

When it comes to taste in film, everything is subjective, everyone knows that. Whether a twisted film impresses you on an emotional level due to the uniqueness of it, or a drama doesn't work for you based on the acting, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I felt the need to state that after my viewing of The Killing of a Sacred Deer, because this is a film that will truly make people not see another movie for weeks or just simply turn it off after the very first frame (I'm not exaggerating). On the other hand, this is a very different film from most of the content out there today, so huge fans of cinema will be able to invest themselves in this insane ride of a movie. While I caution to take any of my negatives or positives with a very large grain of salt, here's why I believe The Killing of a Sacred Deer is an impressive movie, even though I found myself infuriated throughout the majority of its duration. Steve (a surgeon at a hospital) has taken young Martin under his wing due to the fact that he has a desire to pursue health care. Very quickly devolving into an evil plot, Steve discovers that his entire family is taken ill. For unknown reasons, he is faced with some very tough decisions that may result in some horrific imagery. Without ruining the movie, that's about all I can say, and while the premise itself seems bizarre and twisted, I can assure you the movie itself is even more so, so do with that information what you will. This film isn't for the faint of heart as I mentioned before, so let's dive into why that may be. From literally watching open heart surgery, to seeing children with bleeding eyes, to see cheating wives and husbands, to even relating to today's sexual abuse scandals in many more ways than one, this is a film that will probably scar some viewers in many more ways than one. With the addition that it's a fairly slow moving film, I can see many viewers complaining about this picture and stirring up controversy. The only reason that no real controversy has been brought up yet is probably that it went under the radar. Not really garnering the attention that it may or may not have deserved, I can sadly say this film probably needs to be found by the hardcore film fans instead of brought into the public eye. In terms of originality, there's no denying that writer/director Yorgos Lanthimos has what it takes to tell some incredible stories. While I haven't gone back to watch his earliest works, his work on The Lobster made it one of my favorite films of 2015. Sadly, I can't say the same praise about The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but I can once again commend him for being original. Nobody makes movies quite like he does so that deserves some recognition. The strange and unique ways that he approaches storytelling fascinates me and that's more than I can say about most filmmakers these days. In the end, I found this film to be incredibly original in terms of storytelling, but the way the film was presented felt a little egotistical to me. That may not be the case for some viewers, but I'm just being honest. With very minimal dialogue and odd camera angles, there's a lot to admire when watching this movie. To hardcore film lovers, I can't recommend checking out this unique piece of cinema enough, but if you're just looking for an average movie to pop on, I can't warn you of the opposite enough. If you placed a few hundred random people into a movie theatre and asked them to invest their time in this film, I can guarantee that at least 50 percent would either walk out or despise their experience, but that's okay because not everyone likes every single piece of art. While I didn't love this film from start to finish, it's a special one for different reasons.

KJ P Super Reviewer
      • Dec 30, 2017

Unnerving and totally strange. Much of the film seems to be teetering on the brink of becoming art-house trash but it has just the right amount of pitch black humor, indicating that Lanthimos isn't taking himself or the ridiculous narrative too seriously.

Super Reviewer
      • Dec 22, 2017

What a strange movie with even stranger characters. Quite liked it, despite Colin Farrell, who I can't stand, including here. Luckily I don't think you are meant to like him. The dialogue is quite stilted (intentionally) which makes this feel even weirder. I detested Lobster, so I'm glad I didn't know it was the same director until after seeing this as I don't think I'd have bothered with it.

Super Reviewer

Movie & TV guides