Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

On Body and Soul

2017 1 hr. 56 min. Drama TRAILER for On Body and Soul: Trailer 1 List
      90% 79 Reviews Tomatometer 85% 100+ Ratings Audience Score When a man and woman who meet at work begin to know each other, they discover that they have the same dreams at night, and they decide to make them come true. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

On Body and Soul

Netflix

Watch On Body and Soul with a subscription on Netflix.

On Body and Soul

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Tender performances and a strong sense of style combine to create an eccentric, dreamy portrait of love and loneliness in On Body and Soul.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (24) audience reviews
      david b This film is memorable affecting and human, its goes to places of deep feeling where films don't usually go - to deep shyness, to emotional pain and to painfully crippling desire. It holds its subject very carefully and reveals itself gently and with truth. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 03/28/23 Full Review Carlos G One of the best films I have ever seen. Subtle, delicate, deep 10/10 Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/19/23 Full Review Audience Member I thought it was a lovely, beautiful and absolutely wonderful film. I did know the premise of he story before watching so that probably affected my experience of the film in some way. Before watching I thought the idea sounded a bit tacky but it was actually done really well and wasn't too over the top strange like Nordic films can be sometimes. The film had a really quiet tone which I do like - helps one concentrate and be quiet oneself - with just a little bit of a soundtrack. It was also quite peaceful apart from the obvious exceptions. I did find the abattoir scenes distressing but in a way it was good education to see them. It was also very sad when she slit her wrist, the 'unexpected event' at the last minute of suicide is a bit cliche in films now but it was very powerful how she was sat there talking as normal on the phone whilst bleeding from her wrist. The characterisation was acceptable they were obviously both a bit odd which adds interest but Maria was a little irritating at times with her robotic emotionlessness and apart from her OCD, therapy sessions and super memory we didn't really find out anything about her. It was nice with that last scene of them together eating and she became more human but we were shown starkly how her OCD lingered which was kind of nice showing that we can all love and be loved no matter our flaws, strangeness and eccentricities. The plot was also a little thin which I guess is why they had those side stories like Sandor's difficulties with the boss and the police investigation but it didn't bother me too much. Some of the shots of them in their home were quite beautiful too. The film was wonderfully romantic and I really connected with it a lot, just that last shot with the forest fading to white and my heart felt so full, I was very happy to just sit and watch the credits play out and its been a while since I felt like that about a film, it left me in a good place. I loved and enjoyed the film even if it isn't anything really special or overly remarkable - a slightly reserved 7/10. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 02/18/23 Full Review Audience Member I'm not sure how a relatively slow paced film made 2 hours blow by in an instant, but On Body and Soul did it. The best thing about this movie was the performance of Alexandra Borbely. I don't think anyone could've played the role any better than she did. The story is surreal, touching, and unlike just any other love story I've seen. The journey the characters take is fascinating, especially Borbely's character and ultimately, this film is one that'll leave a smile on my face for a while. If it looks like something you may even just slightly enjoy, you'll love it. And if it doesn't, you'll probably still like it too. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 01/12/23 Full Review alex a ON BODY AND SOUL is not just one of the greatest movies you'll ever see; it's a film that gives you a new definition for love; a definition that does not come from dictionaries, but from director Ildikó Enyedi's mesmerizing work. Among all the songs and poems that have been written about love, this is one of these rare instances when a work of art has something new to show regarding the topic. An experience of breathtaking beauty that will forever become a part of your heart – if you let it. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member Engrossing, engaging and fascinating movie. The slaughterhouse scenes are a bummer, but the human story is a beautiful tale. How did they get those "deer" (actually, elk) to do all that 'acting'? If CGI, that's amazing. It's a real gem, especially compared to some of the schlock coming from mainstream dollar-seeking movie production. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Critics Reviews

View All (79) Critics Reviews
      Ela Bittencourt Hyperallergic There is a real tinge of sadness to On Body and Soul, which serves as a quaint allegory on dating in the age of Tinder: a hint that visiting mysterious strangers in our dreams is at times as close we get to intimacy. Nov 7, 2018 Full Review Robert Daniels 812filmreviews On Body and Soul is the power of dreams manifested, mixed with crushing reality of languid love, an emotion with as many mixed signals as the fantasies they're meant to evoke. Rated: 4/4 Aug 27, 2018 Full Review Paul Byrnes Sydney Morning Herald It's a love story and one of the most startling, original, and poised films of the year. Rated: 4/5 May 9, 2018 Full Review Milana Vujkov Lola On Film A holy text of cinema. And if you have never crossed paths with it, this is your moment at the crossroads. Ildikó Enyedi's macrocosmic masterpiece. Jul 31, 2021 Full Review Film Companion Staff Film Companion Ildiko Enyedi's Hungarian love story - between a CFO of a slaughterhouse and his new health inspector - is the definitive portrait of introversion, loneliness, outcasts and kindred souls. Oct 28, 2020 Full Review Fernanda Solórzano Letras Libres The most accomplished part of this movie is its atmosphere, its visual elements, including the staging of the interaction between the two main characters. [Full Review in Spanish] May 29, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis When a man and woman who meet at work begin to know each other, they discover that they have the same dreams at night, and they decide to make them come true.
      Director
      Ildikó Enyedi
      Screenwriter
      Ildikó Enyedi
      Production Co
      Inforg-M&M Film Kft.
      Genre
      Drama
      Original Language
      Hungarian
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Feb 2, 2018