Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Clash

Released Aug 25, 2017 1 hr. 38 min. Drama Mystery & Thriller List
      93% 45 Reviews Tomatometer 82% 250+ Ratings Audience Score Pro-and anti-Muslim Brotherhood demonstrators are brought together in the back of a police van after a July 2013 demonstration following the ousting of President Mohamed Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood member. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Aug 29 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Clash

Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent Clash on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

Clash

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Clash is far from an easy watch, but the story's ripped-from-the-headlines energy more than makes up for its unrelentingly grim tone and sketchily developed characters.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (24) audience reviews
      isla s This is a fairly frantic and somewhat disorientating watch, which depicts the social unrest and anger of Egyptians at the time its set in (the Egyption coup in the early 2010s). I remember hearing about many journalists being detained at the time, the outrage it caused in the west and so on. Film wise, the fear is quite palpable and due to the confined setting of the film, there's also the inevitable sense of claustrophobia present. Its perhaps a little unsettling how quickly the characters decide to label and categorise each other but its certainly a thought provoking watch. I suppose, to some degree, its about the psychology of being in such a situation, confined in a van with other people due to having been present at a protest. It does make you question how people are treated in such situations. There is some pretty jerky/shaky camerawork present, which may, or may not, bother you but otherwise I don't think there's much else I can say about it. I thought it was an interesting watch, a good film, not entirely memorable or great but pretty good and so I'd recommend it on that basis. Oh and perhaps also worth mentioning is that there is some blood depicted, which may make those phobic of blood queasy, so if that applies to you then it may be perhaps better to avoid this film but otherwise its good. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Sameir A Clash is one of the best cinematic experiences you can get from Arab cinema. Directed by Mohamed Diab, he was able to deliver a powerful message that contains the political outlook and general human conditions. A very successful experimental cinema. It is interesting to observe that the camera never leaves the van throughout the film, it may be uncomfortable to claustrophobic viewers. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 07/21/22 Full Review paul w Intense, unrelenting portrayal of a day of chaos in a civil war. A class act. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member Nelly kareem is awesome as usual ❤️ Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/14/23 Full Review r 9 I appreciate a lot of what this attempts, even if it doesn't always mesh together for a good film. The acting is more than decent, the cinematography is impressive given the obvious limitations and the story it's attempting to share is compelling. However, I don't think there's enough there for a full-blown film. All the characters have their own story and motives which aren't overly developed, which generally leads to shouting matches every five minutes - which is simply irritating to watch. I, admittedly, do not know anything close to enough about the Egyptian uprising of 2013, but every character says something or does something that I just find purely nonsensical; to the point where I'm not sure it would even happen in real life. Perhaps I'm wrong, certainly a possibility, though it just comes across that the filmmakers had loads of stories to tell and just crammed them in without making them appear logical. I still find 'Clash' extremely interesting and admire how it's all filmed and put together, I just feel that the premise wears thin a tad. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member An intense and a brave reflection of Egypt in 2013 in a nutshell Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (45) Critics Reviews
      Alexandra Heller-Nicholas The Blue Lenses Arguably one of the most important Egyptian filmmakers currently working today, Mohamed Diab is an unflinching director who does not shy away from explicit commentary about current events in his homeland. Sep 5, 2018 Full Review Namrata Joshi The Hindu The van becomes a microcosm of the world outside: chaotic, out of control, cruel, but broken intermittently by glimpses of humour and humanity. Jul 24, 2018 Full Review Kevin Crust Los Angeles Times Within this roiling Petri dish, the filmmakers cultivate a dynamic portrait of Egypt, with its dense social, political and religious layers. Sep 14, 2017 Full Review Jason Best What's On TV Mohamed Diab exploits his film's restricted location with brio. And captures a searing snapshot of a divided nation. Rated: 4/5 Dec 20, 2020 Full Review Alexa Dalby Dog and Wolf Clash - original title Eshtebak - is a terrific technical achievement and amazingly gripping, given the restricted setting. Rated: 3/5 Nov 17, 2018 Full Review Stephanie Watts One Room With A View Shocking and inventive, Clash is a fascinating and immersive watch that holds up its style of filming remarkably well. Rated: 4/5 Aug 24, 2018 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Pro-and anti-Muslim Brotherhood demonstrators are brought together in the back of a police van after a July 2013 demonstration following the ousting of President Mohamed Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood member.
      Director
      Mohamed Diab
      Executive Producer
      Jamal Al Dabbous, Daniel Ziskind
      Screenwriter
      Khaled Diab, Mohamed Diab
      Distributor
      Kino Lorber
      Production Co
      NiKo Film, arte France Cinéma
      Genre
      Drama, Mystery & Thriller